A few more images from over half a century ago on the Eastern Region.
K3 2-6-0 61829 waits at Grimsby with a local passenger service on 1st July 1961. This class of ex-LNER locomotive was one of the first on the ER to be decimated by the arrival of diesels. Out of a class of almost 200 engines, about a dozen were withdrawn in 1959, but 1962 was the year of the ‘slaughter’; with 123 condemned in that year alone (including 61829 seen below).
K1 2-6-0 is seen on Doncaster shed, along with 90079 and uid others, on 2nd May 1965. An LNER design, all of these were built in BR days (mainly in 1949); but were another class to have short working lives. A few managed 18 years, but for some it was less than 14.
Two J15 0-6-0s 65420 and 65474 are seen at March shed in September 1959. 65420 was built in 1892, making it 67 years old at this time; 65474 was a mere ‘youngster’ of 1913 vintage.
A rather grainy image of Britannia pacific 70054 ‘Dornoch Firth’ at Nottingham Victoria in October 1965. This is quite a rare shot because after many years a Scottish loco, it spent most of the rest of its pitifully short 12 year life at Holbeck and Crewe, and only had Oct-Dec 1965 at Banbury shed; before the entire (surviving members) class was summoned to Kingmoor.
The shape of things to come at Sandy in 1961. An early EE Type4 heads The Master Cutler, to Sheffield.